Mandala Magic!

International Quilt Festival Houston 2016 is about to begin. The workshops started yesterday and I braved getting up at 5:30 so I could get to my first workshop on time.

Glennis Dolce didn’t disappoint, as usual. We were supplied with 3 packets of folded silk (along with instructions on how to fold our own fabtic). We were also supplied with some dissolving thread and instructed to draw and then sew our designs on each packet of silk. Once that was done, we were given some silk dye (which doesn’t require heat setting) and a couple of pipettes. Thus armed, we began to paint our designs. After the painting was done, we dissolved our stitching and opened up our “masterpieces”.

I am very fond of my “firstborn”. Glynnis only let us use 2 colors for our first piece.

My second piece was a bit overwhelming to me. I had intended for small sections of black but the black dye has a mind of its own.

IQF 2016 Mandala Magic #2

My very favorite was my final sample. I like the colors as well as the resulting shape.

IQF 2016 Manadala Magic #3

Next workshop is in a couple of days. It is with the very wonderful and talented Ginny Eckley. Looking forward to it (even if its another 5:30 morning!)

Printing with Hamelia

The leaves of the hamelia (hummingbird bush) have always been a reliable source of green when printing.

This piece was printed with only the leaves of the hamelia and a few annatto seeds.

Add some eucalyptus and a bit of tannin (with a small assist from a bit of iron) and the hamelia still peaks out with a bit of greeen.

Add a bit more tannin (with an iron assist) and the green is still there.

How can anyone help not love this plant(its also a favorite of bees and hummingbirds).

P.S. Always use a bit of copper when printing hamelia. It helps bring out the greens.

IQF Workshops

At the International Quilt Festival this year, I took 2 workshops. One was Paintstik Inspirations and the other was Coloring Fabric with Paints. Aside from having to get up before the roosters to get downtown, the workshops were both great.

I have been doing some experimentation in fabric painting.

From Surface Design
From Surface Design
From Surface Design
From Surface Design

All the above were painted with Jacquard fabric paints: both Textile and Dye-Na-Flow. The top and bottom pictures are both cotton. The middle pictures are silk chiffon.

I have a couple more pieces drying including one I did using Golden Acrylics mixed with GAC-900 Fabric medium. It is a beautiful scarf. The only problem I had with it was when I painted it I used the freezer paper with its paper side up under the scarf (this creates no problem with fabric paints). The paper did stick to the scarf and I have been slowly cleaning it off. Next time, the shiny side will go up! Will publish a photo as soon as I can heat set it.

Here’s a photo of one of my Paintstik workshop pieces.

From Surface Design

I haven’t done any Paintstik samples as yet. Waiting for a couple more painted pieces that I can use as a base for the Paintstiks. Won’t be long.