After the late winter rains, the fountain plant really burst forth. The red was so vibrant I thought it might be a good printing candidate. I cut off a branch and also used some of the fresh wood violet leaves in my yard. I rolled them up in a silk scarf and simmered them in a bath lightly sprinkled with tumeric.
This is the branch surrounded by violet leaves. There is a slight pinkish cast to the print.
These are the violet leaves.
This is the whole scarf.
Angel’s Trumpet – No serious freeze this past winter and lots of spring rain.
Gladiolus – Can’t grow the large ones here but these little beauties are wonderful (looks like I need to divide up the clumps so they’ll stand up straight again)
Amaryllis – Buy those boxed Amaryllis after Christmas and put in the ground.
Body aching and yard work not yet done but looking around the yard makes it all worth while.
I had a cream colored stole that I don’t think I ever wore. I believe the fiber was rayon but wasn’t really sure. So I decided to mordant the fabric as I would a cellulose fiber and gathered some leaves. I used tallow, oak, fern, violet and hamelia leaves; some dry, some fresh. The bundle was simmered in a madder root dye bath. Close up I see traces of the fern and oak but what really stands out are the tallow leaves. The rest of the leaves did leave a wonderful greenish yellow color on the fabric and the madder is a beautiful red.
As it was a bit cool on Easter I decided to finally wear my stole. I loved it and it got many admiring glances.
Have spent some time on a new wire kumihimo design. I think I like this one. It is done with 2 colors of 20 gauge wire. It easily slips on and lays very nicely. Time to make a couple more. I ordered some new wire colors and am anxious to see how they look.