Thought I would try to add a band of kumihimo to a felt cuff. Used the same structure as Kumihimo Concept and braided a short tube of wire. The length of the tube I had made was too long for how I wanted it placed. So I kept snipping it shorter until it seemed to be the correct size. As there was nothing to keep the tube from unraveling, it needed to be tacked in place. Used a few beads while I did that. An interesting look. If I do this again the next tube should probably be the length of one wrap.
A great plus for living in Houston is there is plant material available all year for printing. This scarf was with some fallen pear leaves and fresh rose leaves.
The wonderful rosy color is from simmering the material in a dye bath containing madder extract. As the only tannin in the dye bath was contained in the pear leaves themselves, they didn’t turn out as dark as I usually see them.
The next batch of printing to come out of the dye liquor, in which they have been fermenting, used most of the plant material I found still in my freezer. Should be an interesting.
As I was looking through a book of beautifully created neckwear, I ran across a piece that looked as though it was made with a kumihimo technique using wire. All the photographs in the book identified the materials used in these pieces but not the technique. While I have been doing wire pieces for a while, I hadn’t done anything using the structure shown. I decided a bracelet would be an interesting piece to try.
After making my bracelet I determined the gauge of wire used in the neckpiece was a bit thinner but for a bracelet, heavier is better. The braid structure appears, however, to be identical. This convinced me that the piece in the book was indeed done using a kumihimo technique. Now my challenge will be to make a bracelet that is wearable. This one will sit on the wrist and, as long as there is no movement, it stays there. Since we all move around, however, that challenge needs to be addressed. Will post my results.