Felted Bracelets, Etc.

From Felt

This was based on the project the felt study group had last month. Once again I didn’t have the wires exposed at both ends. This time I did, however, wrap the fibers rather than roll them and the bracelet turned out much nicer. I also cut a longer piece of wire to make a multiple wrap bracelet. Gave some thought to embellishing but really like it the way it is.

From Felt

Made another cuff. This was was lined and embellished. Was disappointed the adhesive interfacing didn’t stick as it should have and so was forced to use some fabric glue. Perhaps I’ll just continue to make cuffs without a stiff lining (ultra suede) and consider just a simple fabric lining or no lining at all. Do like the way the embroidery turned out.

From Surface Design

As my eco printing takes a very long time to process (I have 3 bundles happily fermenting), it seems as though I’ll have plenty of time to work on my other interests. Although I may try some sun and cold processing. Those techniques don’t take quite as long for the results to be seen.


From Felt

Learning a technique often presents you with some interesting opportunities. I have made a couple of felt cuffs before but they usually have some kind of clasp to fasten them on. Thought it would be interesting to make a felt cuff that just slipped over the hand. Well not only is wet felting something that needs much practice but calculating correct sizing does also. I followed all the sizing guidelines but found my end result was about 3 inches too large! That is fairly significant.

I let the cuff sit for a couple of days and periodically walked past it to give it an analyzing look. I didn’t want to cut off the excess to create another cuff with a clasp so I decided to go ahead and fold over the excess. Looked though my ‘stuff’ for a suitable embellishment and found this wonderful, huge button. Not only did the button need a piece big enough to not be overwhelming but it also needed a surface substantial enough to hold it. The cuff is approximately 3 inches wide and, with 3 layers of folded-over felt, the button would be proportionate and secure.

I like it so much I may make another before adjusting my guide to make the ‘correct’ size.

The Day Has Finally Come!

From Surface Design

We finally got a chance to open our bundles from the eco dyeing/printing workshop. This method of dyeing is not for those who demand instant gratification. We took the workshop over a month ago!! But look at some of the results.

Several of my pieces were okay; not bad but not great. But there were a couple I’m extremely pleased with and they happen to both be on wearable items-scarves, not just pieces of cloth. The scarf above was done with loquat leaves, rose petals and violet leaves.

From Surface Design

This little beauty was done with eucalyptus leaves. What a great color when a bit of vinegar is part of the process.

I’ve been collecting some leaves and flowers from the garden. I’m ready to try my own combinations. Also ready for another workshop

Felting Group – Bracelet

From Felt

This month’s felting group activity was a bracelet. One of our members found a cute idea which had a length of wire contained in the felt with the ends of the wire protruding at the ends. The wire in the felt helped give the bracelet shape and the wire at the ends could be used as embellishment. As seen in my sample there is no wire protruding at the ends. Rather there is a great deal of felt extending past the wire!

Not to let that deter me, I shaped both the wire and the felt to give me a very interesting bracelet. Of course, it also needed some beads to add even more interest.

I do like the way the bracelet turned out but need to spend a little time doing the project as it was intended. Looking forward to next month’s group activity.

Felting Experiment

From Felt

At last month’s felt study group, we talked about what techniques we would be interested in exploring. A couple of the items mentioned were flowers and bracelets. One evening as I was settling in for some sleep I thought about what would happen if both those items were combined.

So here I have my first interpretation of that idea. I think it turned out interesting enough to continue pursuing.