As I could no longer use the mohair in my design another solution was needed. I found a variegated silk that complemented both the rosy-orange silk already used as well as the centerpiece. The wonderful olive galvanized beads tie it all together.
So I now have 2 braids instead of one. I’m happy.
I designed a new braid which was to include some wonderful hand-dyed, loosely spun mohair I purchased (from Kai Mohair) along with some Japanese silk. The mohair was so ‘boisterous’ it completely overpowered the silk. It really wanted to be its own braid and not be shared. I managed to find a centerpiece to complement the fiber and not seem insignificant next to it.
Unfortunately, photos can lose the subtle colors that can exist in fibers. There is a wonderful teal that is dyed over the brown which, I’m sure, is the natural color of the goat’s fleece. The centerpiece was something I had added many years ago to my collection of ‘it will find a perfect place someday’ items. Looks like it did.
Thanks Lisa of Kai Mohair. I’ll be seeing you at International Quilt Festival if not before.
I have had several skeins of raffia in my supply stash for quite a while. Decided it was time to use at least one of them and find out how it braided up.
With any stiff or unknown fiber I like to finish the braid in my circular design. After I’ve finished the braiding, I can determine whether or not the circle will have a tassel (love those guys!).
Surprisingly, the raffia ended up with a tassel.
Finished the piece with a purple cotton fiber wrap to set off the small copper embellishment. I like it.
Sometimes, however, no matter how many fun and interesting fibers you braid, you always come back to the basics: silk. The braid below used both plain and variegated silk.
And, wow, what a tassel! I do just love those guys! The little braids seen on top of the tassel are actually two of the warps used in making the braid. I like this one, too.